My High School Bestfriend's Wedding




It was 29th May, 2018 when my best friend for almost whole of my life finally got engaged. I just landed in Singapore that time from Boracay. When I turned off my phone's airplane mode, the first message I got was from her—a wave in Facebook messenger. You see, we're the type of friends who do not talk to each other every day. (Maybe I'm the type of that person, tamad ako mag-chat.) And that's it. She sent me a photo of her hand with the engagement ring, saying "Happy to share this with you!" I wanted to fly back to the Philippines and hug her. I was so happy, and ecstatic. Finally. And I asked her to tell me ALL the details.


Six months later, they got married. That day, I saw her at her happiest with a spark in her eyes with no tricks or illusions. She was just so beautiful. 

When I learnt that I have to give a speech or a wedding toast because I was the maid of honor, I low key panicked. I didn't want to speak in front of people, because part of me knows that I will surely cry. 

Since she already published my speech in social media, I figured I should put this here. (And since I was not able to read the entirety of it, because the host said it should only be two minutes long.) Tears fell down even before I started. I stammered; my words were so small in comparison to the happiness I was feeling for her. It was such an overwhelming feeling that I cried more than her mother did; more than she probably did. (Later, she told me that she didn't want to look at me, because she will surely cry. Lol) That day was a dream come true for her, an answered prayer. I cried because even if it's not me, at least the people I love are happy, and I am more than grateful for that. Although, I still can't stand watching myself ugly crying while doing the speech. :)

So here it is:
Hello everyone. Sa mga hindi po nakakakilala saken, my name is Lorraine or Geleen to most people here. 

Uby and I have been friends since day care. Sa totoo lang, hindi ko na matandaan kung paano kami unang nagkakilala. Ang alam ko lang, nung Day Care kami sa may tuklong, lagi akong excited umuwi kasi makakasabay ko sya sa paglalakad. Simula nun hanggang High School, naging magka-klase na kami. Kung iisipin, andami na namin pinagsamahan. Simula sa panonood ng nagpapa-nuntok sa may tubuhan nung elementary, sa pagiging die hard fan ni Henry Yeo at Champ Lui Pio nung highschool. Hanggang sa first time nya na pagsakay ng eroplano, at sa first real heartbreaks. Alam nyo ba ano greatest dream ni Uby dati? Maging presidente lang naman ng Pilipinas. 

When we were 20-something at parehong single, nag-promise kami na magiging Maid of Honor namin ang isa’t isa. Kaya feeling ko nga, napilitan lang sya na gawin akong MOH today. Joke lang. 

Thru the years of our friendship, Uby has always been my go-to person. Yung kanta ko sa kanya nun, “Im weak. You’re strong.” Because that’s what she is to me, one of the strongest person I know na handang makinig lagi, and always has the right words to comfort me. Kahit na hindi kami laging nag-uusap, minsan magmmessage lang ako sa kanya ng "BF", and alam nya agad na kailangan ko ng kausap. Siya na yung kakampi ko since day 1.

Way back 2015, nung una kong nameet si Dindo,  naisip ko nun, “Katahimik naman ah na’re. Pero mukhang tatagal naman.” Knowing na sobrang madaldal and may pagka-maiyamutin ‘tong isa. Pero sabe nga nila, first impression lasts. And true enough, tumagal sila. Opposites attract talaga. Although dati pa naman, tuwing magkikita kami, sigurado na ko na sa simbahan na talaga tuloy nila, singsing na lang kulang. Biro ko nga sa kanya nun, “Alah, ayos na sa iyo ang unisilver na singsing. Or silverworks para mas mahal naman ng kaunti.” Sa kabila ng madaming pagkakaiba nilang dalawa, yung isa sobrang haba ng pasensya, yung isa naman laging nang-aaway (alam nyo na kung sino sa kanila yun); kahit na minsan LDR sila, they compromised and found balance and harmony with each other. Minahal at tinanggap pa rin nila ang isa’t isa. And that’s what I admire most about them. 

Dindo, you are Uby's answered prayer. Sabe ko nga sa kanya, ang swerte nya sayo. Sana habaan mo pa pasensya mo. Please continue to love and take care of her. 

BF, this is it. I cannot express how happy I am for you. Sobrang proud ako of the person that you have become, and the life you chose for yourself. Eto na yung pinag-uusapan natin dati tuwing magsisimba tayo. 

You guys give us hope, that when two people truly love each other despite all their differences and disagreements, nothing can keep them apart. Sobrang excited na ko sa bubuuin nyong pamilya in the future.

To everyone, maraming salamat po sa pagpunta at pakikisiya sa araw na ito. Please raise your glasses, to Mr. and Mrs Marcaida.

Here are a few photos from that very remarkable day, and the bridal shower we prepared for her:

6th, January 2019 — We surprised her with a bridal shower at her house. It wasn't actually a surprise, as she was kind of expecting her college friends to do it (and the fiancè didn't know how to keep a secret). What surprised her more was the presence of our high school friends. She didn't know that it would be joint effort from all of us.




Her reaction when she saw our HS friends. Lol






In a traditional Batangas way, the bride and groom will do a money dance on their wedding eve. The bride's friends and family will pin money bills on the groom's garments, and vice versa. Actually, I didn't know such a thing still exists nowadays. Lol I remember when I was a little girl during my aunt's wedding, this tradition was really a big thing. All the single girls and boys in our barangay will gather during the night before. It was like a chance of meeting someone that can be your future bride or groom to be.



26th, January 2019 —Then the most awaited day has finally come. Our call time was as early as 4:00am, to give ample time for makeup and photoshoot. 






I wasn't able to join the group photo with all the entourage, because I was busy doing MOH duties :(


High school friends featuring the suman

The constants since 2003 :)
Then my most dreaded moment has come. Before the program started, I had to confirm with the host if I really had to do a wedding toast. I told her I actually prepared, but it will take at least 4-minute long. She said to cut it short to 2 minutes. Lol


I had to deliver my bestfriend's gift to her husband to be :)

Happy to see this photo, as all I can remember was me ugly crying during that speech Lol

This has to be my favorite photo among all these—when I hugged her after I made a mess of myself, but then again I was just overflowing with happiness for this girl.>



Here's my cousin teary eyed while taking my video. Lol
And of course, the very supportive friend.

When it was time for the bouquet tossing, the host just called my name out of nowhere, so the bestfriend just threw it straight into me. Lol Then like old tradition, the guy who got the garter placed it on me while doing a very funny game care of the host. I really did a mess out of myself that day. Kudos to this Kuya who was very game!



*******


You Might Also Like

0 commentaires