Exploring Coney Island | The Singapore Journal


What do you do when you want to go out of town but don't have the means (or probably just being frugal), and certain circumstances (like fully booked hotels, overpriced bus/ferry/air fare tickets) won't allow you to?

As for me, I go to a place that could somehow take me away from the bustle of the city. Coney Island or Serangoon Island, I believe, has that kind of ambience. Thanks to the friends who introduced this place to me.


Although Coney Island is much smaller that Pulau Ubin, the countryside and its rustic charms could make you feel like you are not in the laborious country of Singapore. Besides, it is more accessible from the city. Just take the Northeast MRT line until Punggol terminal station. At the bus interchange, ride bus 84 to Punggol End Road where Punggol Settlement is located. From there, bike rental shops are available.

(There was an instance when we opted to rent a bike from Punggol MRT to Punggol Settlement instead of taking the bus. It was probably a good warm up except that it started raining before we even reach Punggol End Rd. Lol)

So here's a few of the photos why I would definitely add Coney Island to my favorite spots in Singapore. Or maybe, where to go and what to do when you don't want to mingle with people. I say, ride a bike, put your music on and explore.

The island has two main entrances - the West and East Entrance. Most visitors go through the West Entrance coming from Punggol Park.

The island has five beach areas, Beach Area A, B, C, D and E.
I finally found this board walk where you can bask and watch the sunset.

My favorite adventure area in the island is the Casuarina Exploration where a number of uprooted Casuarina timbers are scattered to make it look comely.


On my few visits to the island, one thing that I learnt is that the best time to explore the island is on a late afternoon, before sunset and after the rain. The air will get a little cold, and not too humid.

And then, after biking around Coney Island, head straight to Punggol Waterway and chase the sunset.

Or you can also go to Pasir Ris Park first then back to Punggol Waterway Park. (I tried going to Pasir Ris park but I got a little lost along the way.)


You Might Also Like

0 commentaires