Work Is Not Life



Seven years ago, when I was one week into my first job and fresh out of college, I had the privilege to join a team building in Zambales, Philippines. We were thirteen fresh graduates and all newly hired. Almost everyone joined, because who would not if it's an all-expense paid trip, right? Imagine, at that time, I still had no idea how the corporate world works and my mind was still having post-college blues. Then just when I was just warming up at the company, we drove 5 hours away from Manila to have fun, and relax. (At that time, my cousins are still not used to me saying "I'm at the office" instead of me saying, "I'm at school." They would tease me for it telling me, "Wow. May pa-office office ka na ngayon ah.")


When the invitation came, I said, "Oh, this is good. Looks like I joined a perfect team" (which up until now would I consider is a fact). I thought we were so lucky to have earned a spot in the team building even if we haven't done anything for the company yet. While on our way to the location, I remember asking myself, "How do these people get to enjoy things like this when they actually have some crucial job to do? How do they separate work from fun? Don't they have any grudge against each other?" I guess I was so innocent back then to ask these kind of questions.

It didn't take me long enough to answer those silly questions I had in mind. The answer was plain and simple—work life balance. Over the years, I realized how these three word phrase is rudimentary in the corporate world, especially nowadays where technology plays a big part in our daily lives. The demands are always high. Sometimes, there's a blurry boundary between work and other aspects of our lives that it could lead to negative effects to our relationships, not only towards our families or friends or that special someone, but more importantly, the relationship we have between our own selves. Maybe this is one of the reasons why a lot of people opt for work-from-home jobs.

One thing I learnt through the years is the concept, "Your work is not your life." It's only the slice of it, not the entire pizza. Although, admittedly, work makes me sane and the feeling of getting the job done, albeit stressful, actually feels really good, that you somehow accomplished something. However, by the end of the day, there should always be harmony. And I believe, that's the thing that has kept me going, and help me survive the inevitably harsh, but could actually be fun and amusing corporate culture.

On the other note, I'm already three years with my current job now. Wow. Time flies.




You Might Also Like

0 commentaires