Why Receiving/Sending Postcards Is Highly Satisfying




Six months ago, I went to Malaysia with the sole purpose of unwinding. Not knowingly, it was during that trip that I was introduced to the world of sending postcards. I was not fully aware that postcards is still a "thing" nowadays, especially with all the technology that we have. So I was a really surprise to learn that there are still people who loves and spends time writing and sending postcards.


For the longest time that I have been exploring new places/countries, I always thought of what would be the best souvenir I could take home from that trip. So I sorted to infamous ref magnets, which I still collect until now. It never occurred to me how postcards could actually be the best souvenirs.

It was on that trip that a friend of a friend introduced me to Postcrossing—an online community that allow its members to send and receive postcards from all over the world. For each postcard you send, you will receive one back. That simple! (Will forever be grateful to that guy! You know who you are. :)

When I received my first ever postcard from the same person who introduced it to me, I was really so pleased and delighted. I was probably like a child who finally got her chocolate and candies. Ang saya lang. Even if it takes more than a month, or sometimes two months, to travel to the receiver, a postcard is almost always worth waiting.

As of writing, I have already received around 50 postcards from different parts of the world.

Postcards are cheap, yet it could make the best souvenirs.

Yes, we do have our cameras to take a photo of where we have been, and share it in social media. But isn't it still nice and extra thoughtful to share that memory or picturesque view to a friend via postcard. There's always gonna be a story behind it. It's a way of saying, "I am here, looking at this spectacular view, thinking of you."

You get to travel through postcards.

Most of the postcards that people have sent to me were places I've never been or places that I never knew existed. And through that, I have been somehow inspired to also see that scenic, charming view with my own eyes. Even if the postcard is not a view, you get to travel through their culture and way of living.

It could be a stress reliever.

Everyone loves receiving something from their mailbox (other than credit card bills, notices, statements of account, junk letters, among other adulting stuff.) When days get stressful at work, my mood instantly changes whenever I see a postcard waiting for me at home. It's an instant mood booster.

Receiving handwritten notes can never go out of fashion.

More than the postcard itself, I love receiving a postcard that's bursting with words and writings. People from the other side of the world get to tell me something about their place that only locals knew; about their favorite song, book or quote; a few words in their local language; about how their day went; about the postcard itself or entirely about themselves. Through this, I get to expand my horizon.


Postcards are timeless.

Our Facebook or Instagram photos are all there, but decades from now, wouldn't you feel amazed opening a box full of postcards from people from different parts of the world? Years from now, I can look back through all these postcards, telling myself to never ever lose the art of letter writing. 

A few of my friends have sent postcards my way with all the right words (or drawings) in it. They are by far, some of the priceless possessions I have right now. Here are some of the best postcards that I have received via Postcrossing and from a few friends.

My first ever postcard!!!

Bought this one from Taiwan which says "Is there anything else at the top?" Is there? Of course, there is.
A postcard from Ireland containing some quotations from the great Oscar Wilde.
Then this cat-shaped postcard from Taiwan, though.
The first ever postcard I received from the Motherland. 
The effort a person makes to send a postcard is one of the reasons why I love this stuff. From choosing the postcard, writing into it, and dropping it in the mailbox. I receive this from a friend who visited Taiwan. 
Received this from USA. Love how the sender was talked about this point lookout, about things to do and what locals usually love about this place.

A beautiful postcard from Lithuania.

A souvenir from my Taiwan trip. A gentle note to myself as indicated by the Rainbow Grandpa in Taichung.

I could go on all day talking about all the postcards I received within the span of six months. Next time you're on a trip, try to buy some postcard. Go, sit in a corner and write whatever your heart's desire. Find a mailbox and drop it. Though it could be a bit challenging finding a mailbox (or let alone the stamp), I can assure you that the person receiving it will indeed be gratified.

P.S.

Or maybe you can send me one too. :)

You Might Also Like

0 commentaires