Taichung City in A Day



Recap : Days 1 and 2 were spent in Taipei City joining free walking tours. Day 3 was another day in Taipei at the Northern most part.

Day4 was perhaps the only full day that I had actually explored alone. I booked a two-way High-Speed Rail tickets going to Taichung City, a municipality located at the center-western of Taiwan. It only took an hour from Taipei to Taichung, with their always on-time and comfortable HSR trains. (How I wish, there is also such a thing in Philippines. Travelling from one province to another would be so much easier.)



There were a lot of tourist spots that I wasn't able to visit as it was very far from the city. The option of renting a taxi is quite expensive and would be very unpractical. Besides, where is the fun on renting a taxi all for yourself? And hey, Taichung City did not disappoint. It was a mix of modern-classic buildings. It was a city for artists, and the creative minds alike.

And the biggest bonus? Getting around using my MRT EasyCard was free. Yes, ALL FREE. So, I hopped on and off on buses going from one place to another, not really caring how much I have spend on bus fares.

Rainbow Village

This place should definitely NOT be missed whenever in Taichung. It was a colourful one-man masterpiece. Story is that a former solider named Huang Yung-Fu painted his settlement, so that government will refrain from demolishing his home. Over the years, he also started painting other houses in the village. Now, he is the only one left living in the village. He is popularly called as Rainbow Grandpa.





National Taichung Theater

It was recommended to me by Jaenna, a local tour guide from Like it Formosa. And she was absolutely right about the place. The architecture was stunning, both from the outside and the inside. No doubt it is regarded as the newest landmark in Taiwan, boasting three big theaters.








Miyahara

This dessert restaurant can somehow remind someone of Hogwarts with its high ceilings, glossy floors, and wooden furnitures. It sells traditional Taiwanese desserts and 60-flavored ice creams.



Tunghai University/Luce Memorial Chapel

It reminded me of university days; of the good old college days. The relax feel of the surroundings inside the university was so inviting. How nice would it be to study on a campus like that of Tunghai University? I can just sit on the grass on a relaxing day, with my book in one hand, and a drink on the other. Or maybe hangout with friends under the shade of a tree. It left me asking myself, "What if I go to school again? What if I pursue my passion this time?"


Inside the university sits Luce Memorial Chapel. It is a Christian Orthodox chapel named after Henry W. Luce.



Thank you to the kind stranger who volunteered taking my photo. May God bless your soul. :)

Din Tai Fung

Xia Long Bao or Xia Long Bae as I like to call it, could actually be my favorite Chinese food. So it would be a crime against my taste buds and my foodie self to not try XLB at Din Tai Fung's home country. Surprisingly, it tasted differently from that of in SG. The meat was not as smooth and tender. But in any case, at least now I know.


****

I cannot recall on the number of buses I have rode that day for FREE; on the number of kilometers it took me to reach more than 20000 steps just in one day; on the number of unfamiliar chinky faces I have seen. But one thing I was sure of, the most exhilarating, funny and faith-in-humanity-restored experience happened in this city (which I won't go into details). I went back to Taipei with my energy only enough to drag myself back to the hostel. In any case, I went back satisfied and fulfilled. It was another day of achievements unlocked.

Visited this Instagrammable ice cream parlor. Thank you to the waitress who took this photo of me. :)

You Might Also Like

0 commentaires