Day Hike at Mt. Gulugod Baboy


I used to not understand why people like climbing mountains. Eh mapapagod ka lang naman? But I had a change of heart when I experienced a bit of hiking or trekking when I went to Sagada last January. After that, I started falling in love with the outdoors that is not a beach. I started to understand why. So I craved for more; I craved seeing the world from high ground.
This trip was actually just a spur of the moment thing. An idea I came to visualise days after I booked an unplanned ticket going home. See the story here. I have 6 days to spare so might as well squeeze in a quick day hike. Luckily, I have the most supportive friends who manage to made time for my random "tara-akyat-tayo-ng-bundok" trip. Although I know, they just half-heartedly agreed to my impulsiveness. Lol

My hometown Batangas, Philippines is more popularly known for its beaches due to its proximity from Manila. Google "quick beach getaway from Manila" and you'll surely see Batangas as one of the suggested places to go. Little did I know, Batangas is also home to some of the mountains best to hike for beginners. The suggestion to hike Mt. Gulugod Baboy (or Mt. Pinagbandirahan) came from the bestfriend because we only have half a day to spend. True enough, we were already home by lunch feeling exhausted yet satisfied. (Or maybe ako lang yun? :)

MT. GULUGOD-BABOY
Anilao, Mabini, Batangas
Jump-off point : Philpan Dive Resort, Anilao, Mabini
LLA : 13°42’55″N; 120°53’43″E; 525 MASL
Hours to summit : Half-day / 1-2 hours
Specs : Minor climb, Difficulty 2/9, Trail class 1-2
Features : Scenic views of Batangas Bay and Balayan Bay

Source: http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/


We started our hike at around 5:30AM as we had to commute from the other side of Batangas which took us almost 1.5 hours. One of our HS friend instructed us how to reach Mabini from our hometown Ibaan.







We arrived at the top around 7:30 AM with the sun already out and shining. Ruby Ann was looking forward for sunrise but we were already behind schedule. Nevertheless, the sweeping hills and natural grasslands were still all so worth it. And of course, a scenic 360 degrees view of my revered hometown and its coastal waters. I suddenly remembered singing Himno ng Batangan way back in highschool. Haha

Batangas, Philippines - bred, but not born. And still, I would choose this place over a hundred places I've been.







I mentioned in one of my posts that I haven't climbed a legit mountain yet, so I will keep that to my next agenda. This is it - another item out from my bucket list. I know, this is nothing compared to the mountaineers out there but it's a start and I felt proud for it. It was an easy hike but still an achievement unlocked.


Mt. Gulugod Baboy already has trails around it so it's quite easy descend and ascend from one hill to another. Still, caution is required, as always. :)









Can I just say how thankful I am to these two for coming along to my spontaneous trip? We almost didn't push through because it was continuously raining for days in Batangas. I was the only who was so optimistic and insistent. God was so good because the moment I stepped out of the plane from my flight, the sun was shining happily like it was welcoming me home. :)

Hopefully, I get to climb my next mountain soon!

You Might Also Like

0 commentaires