Biking at Pulau Ubin | The Singapore Journal

Just when I thought I was running out of new things to try/do in Singapore, an opportunity presented itself—biking.

I have been reading about Pulau Ubin long before, that is one of the few kampongs left in Singapore; that it is an offshore island located in the northeast of Singapore; that it is popular for outdoor activities and summer camps. But apparently, I never got a chance to visit Pulau Ubin until just recently. Because first, I am not very confident in my biking skills and secondly, I don't think my friends are interested. (I know, I'm probably just making excuses. He-he)
So when a friend invited me to go to Pulau Ubin for biking, I immediately said yes. (But at the back of my mind, I was actually quite hesitant. Baka hindi ko kaya yung uphill and downhill roads. Lol) Nonetheless, I wanted to challenge myself, you'll never know unless you try nga, 'di ba? :) 

Then only three days ago, for the second time this month, I went back to the island with a different group of friends. So yes, kinaya ko although it is both exciting and exhausting at the same time.

It is a less than 10-minute bumboat ride from Changi Point Ferry Terminal to Pulau Ubin jetty which costs 3$ per way. Upon arriving, we were welcomed by a row of old bicycles and bike rental shops. You can rent a bike for as low as 6$ for the whole day. And they have bikes to suit every preference, be it mountain bikes, tandem bikes, family bikes or those bikes with baby seats.

The different routes could also fit anyone's biking levels - from beginner (ehem) to expert bikers alike. During my second time, we tried cycling through the mountain bike trail, but when we saw that the cemented road ended and it is earth trail all the way, we decided not to push through. Nakakapagod kaya! :)) But it was the kind of exhaustion which I don't regret at all.



I don't know why I look so annoyingly happy in my photos. Lol

That's a Muslim cemetery right there
Pulau Ubin's iconic drink store. I should've taken a picture with the Uncle manning the store, he's so kind :)


The outdoors made me put the happy face on. :)
Kampong houses right in the middle of the sea.
With the bessy. :)

Pulau Ubin has a rustic atmosphere in it which probably what must have been like before Singapore was fully developed. Despite the humid weather conditions, most of the tracks are covered with shade so it feels pleasant to go around the island. Plus the scenic views are definitely a bonus!

The island reminds me so much of my hometown Batangas, perhaps that's one of the reasons why I liked it.

PS: I am starting to fall in love with the outdoors, that is not a beach or a waterfall. I initially consider myself as more of a beach person, but I guess, I can be in-between. They key, perhaps, is to just keep on wandering and exploring new things like a child we never should cease to be.

Note: I haven't climbed a legit mountain yet. Maybe I'll keep that to my next agenda? Stay tune. :)


You Might Also Like

0 commentaires