Favorite Spots in Singapore | The Singapore Journal

Much has been said about a lot of other places on this blog, but only a little to nothing about the very, touristy, humid Singapore. I have stayed here for a year now and I haven't featured a thing about SG. Why is that?

Since it is of a known fact that Singapore is only a very small country, almost the same land area of Metro Manila that is, I have got used to its usual tourist spots, i.e. Sentosa, USS, MBS, Gardens by the Bay, Chinatown, Clark Quay, among many others. These places, if not every day, almost always spells of crowded people, city noise and bustling urban life. Don't get me wrong. These places are really nice, especially the Clark Quay bridge where you can hang out with an iced cold drink in your hand while watching various kinds of people passing by. But sometimes, what one actually need is a place where you can just relax or sit and not think about anything else.

Enough of the small talk. In line with my first year in Singapore (naks! may ganun), let me tell you about my two favorite spots in SG. Yes, so far just two.

Haji Lane

Haji Lane is a short alleyway that stretches near Kampong Glam neighborhood. It is basically composed of independent boutiques, quirky cafes, quaint barber shops and a LOT of artistic inspirations. Every spot is surely instagram-worthy.

Whenever a visiting friend asks me what place I could recommend going to in Singapore, I would instantly say Haji Lane. Because, why not? It is the hippest and most charming spot in SG. "A lot more cultural than the rest of Singapore" - what one friend from the UK told me after roaming around Haji Lane.

It is actually more about the experience. Even if you end up buying nothing or not dining in, your eyes will still be satisfied anyway. The charismatic sights and cool vibes around would be enough to enjoy Haji Lane.




More photos here!

Henderson Waves Bridge

Standing 36m meters above the ground, Henderson Waves bridge is Singapore's highest pedestrian crossing. The bridge basically connects Mt. Faber Park and Telok Blangah Hill. It mimics the shape of a wave, thus the name.

This place, for me, tops it all. Besides being a 10-minute walk/hike from our place, I frequent the bridge every week - jogging around the Telok Blangah area and finishing the lap by going up to the bridge. I would just sit there - enjoy the panoramic view of the city, watch people, the sunset, gaze at this chiefly, clouded, starless Singapore sky or wait until the sky catches up with my mood. Some of melancholic, half-finished writings were blissfully made here.

Nothing quite like this place, really. The scenic view as dusk falls makes me linger to the bridge more as it is being lighted up LED lights from 7pm to 2am. There were instances that I would rush going off work just so I can visit the bridge before night fall.  (I only go to the bridge every weekday as it gets a little crowded during weekends.)






Enjoy more photos of the bridge here!

You Might Also Like

0 commentaires